Monday, September 19, 2011

Výborně

It seems as if I have been going through a period of what some might refer to as acculturation (see third mini paragraph here), or colloquially coined, culture shock, an assimilation to a new lifestyle. Apparently there are four stages of this culture shock (see dippy article here). While there may be some validity to 1, 3, & 4, section 2 (dvě) is for the birds. Perhaps this is why I have been a little preoccupied. 'Honeymooning', either in relationship or with a country, has always caused a bit of distraction and absence from reality. Admittedly, it has not been all rainbows and kisses/butterflies; I miss my friends terribly, I miss showers, & I would do anything for a cult classic Reuben, but there are a scads of things that have been making the shift happen a bit more facilely: an awesome host family, devil sausage, storybook environs (thanks, Lady T), dirt-cheap pivo, & the arrival of another English teacher who seems hell bent on exploration. I'm continuing to grasp the ways of this culture & with a few more tweaks I should be able to consider myself an 'enthusiast' soon.

1. Lunch. It is supposed to be the biggest meal of the day! For a while I was wondering if these siestas were normal. Lunch is HUGE, astronomical, bigger than a Big Mac... Adjustment to my afternoon siesta and later bed time were definitely required. So many potatoes... so much meat...

2. Waking up early. Always a fan of early rising I thought I was the exception, along with the elderly who are up at 5 am, but no, Litomyšlans wake up early--unless they, like Alex, don't go to bed till early morning.

3. Cafeing. Drinking káva/coffee in the cafe should take your around 90 minutes. Expect to sit down and enjoy it. I have yet to see someone with a take away/to-go coffee cup. Also, & perhaps this is unique to my language barrier issues, but so far I have been unable to order a 'black' cup of coffee that doesn't come with espresso grinds at the bottom. Tips from the gallery?

4. Recycling. Everyone Recycles. Glass. Plastic. Paper. & even compost material. At the end of most streets are recycling hubs, which do not have places to throw non-recyclable (word?) garbage (this mistake I made and had to walk all the way to my school with a bag of trash). Grocery stores also have these spinning recycling centers where you can return empty beer bottle for 3CZK, which at the grocery store is 1/3 of the cost of a bottle of beer.

5. ABBA. Last week I took what is called a "hiking class", which I will now take every Wednesday with one of my students, Alice. In a recent letter to my friend I wrote this: I am not quite sure why it is called "hiking", but I have never listened to ABBA for that length of time (people here love Abba, akin to the way Lady Gaga has her following of "little monsters"). Now, this hiking class is 45 minutes of power walking on an elevated treadmill with jazzercize steps thrown in, see for example the Ok Go video 'Here It Goes Again'. I think after two more classes I should be able to make a music video for at least one ABBA song.

6. Bratislava. Just because they work in the Czech Embassy does not mean they are going to be as friendly as Litomyšlans, they still live in Bratislava. Twenty minutes is equivalent to a knowing forty-five. I would choose Kournas over Euros, Czech is split from Slovakia for a reason. On Visas? You're better off going to Vienna.

The Grad School roster is finally in. Can't you tell I am practicing for the GRE? Also, pitches are just about in to the Tribune, Red Eye, Reader, Herald, and a slew of unread travel journals.

For you picture readers:

Home on the bří pátů.

All for the fancy price of 25 CZK--Take that $2.50 PBR.

$1000 in Vic Gratitude if you can give me the scientific name for Skeleton-Skull-Shell-Bug.

I wasn't kidding about the mushrooms.

What happens to your knee when running and you get distracted by patches of aforementioned mushrooms.


Ghosting and haunting with bílá paní at the top of the watch tower in Litomyšl Castle.

Sunset from the tower of the Chateau.


From the stage of the 'oldest' theater in Europe (1796 is pretty old).


Creepy, creepy, doll exhibit in the castle--especially when you are on a private tour and it's dark & toys are supposed to come to life with spinning heads.


Xanadu Part II. My favorite tree and accordingly the view from my new bench in černa hora. Akin to Palmer Square Park, no?

1 comment:

EJM said...

Adventures, Adventures!!! I can't wait to come visit!!! Miss you! xoxo