Saturday, November 5, 2011

Kotelna-Music Clubbing

On a note of full disclosure: While I am still recuperating form the events of last night, I was all to eager, to expose the Czech music scene that I was graciously invited to partake in yesterday. Aleš, you know you are the best.


Last night was my first experience in the Kotelna, Music Club Litomyšl. This had been a place of great intrigue, mystery, a place that I would walk by at least once a week always wondering when I, Victoria Sroka, would step foot beyond those red doors into the abyss, finally hearing, with my own ears, the music reverberating off the walls. Yesterday, it was finally my turn.

The first thing I noticed was how intimate the space is. I love music, but get me in a big room like the All State Arena or even UIC Pavilion and I will freak the f*ck out. Kotelna is great though and is a lot like Double Door, before the indoor smoking ban.


When you walk in it is a breeze, you’re not fumbling for your ID, there’s no bouncer looking you up and down, and while you have to push past people (literally I think every Litomyšlan from 18-35 were there) you are still able to sidle your way to the front without much effort and fewer beer spills.

The cocktails were the second thing I noticed, mainly one (for originalities sake and how it made me nostalgic for warm summer nights, watching movies projected of the balconies of friends apartments). This cocktail was “The Big Lebowski”. I did not order one, although I was tempted, maybe next time. Nothing gets me quite in the mood to dance my face off like vodka, Kahlua, & cream --read pop culture section. The gang and I stuck to beers and I was again reminded that my Czech language skills (specifically ordering) are not as up to snuff as I once thought. I do not know what I would do with out my “designated translator” and the people of Litomyšl who cut me some slack when I speak in English.


I shall reiterate that the concert was awesome! The band we were there to see was WOHNOUT. They are an indie-alternative band with a ton of endurance; I have never jumped so much at a concert! Back in the states my dance moves are notorious for being… well there is video somewhere, anonymously I hope. However, here I have finally found people who dance the same way I do, pointer fingers and all. That is right, my finger dance is back! That said my dance moves were no match for the three, sloshy, older woman who were moshing and attempting to make out with the security guard for 80% of the show- I wish I had taken video.


After the show, Aleš and I accosted the band for signatures and I got all four of them to sign my ticket. This might have had something to do with the fact that I am from Chicago and very few Americans can be found dancing like crazy at the Litomyšl music club. They very friendly and took time to chat and take pictures.


& now pictures…


Guitar player from unknown opening band. I talked to him briefly as I was leaving. Evidently he had been to Chicago, but actually just the airport.



Saxophone from the opening band.

Wohnout!


More Wohnout....


Jan & I. He was sweet and told me that these guys would be in New York come January.


Wohnout Set list. Pepiěi was fantastic




The evidence and proof.



& because it's funny...Czech polygamy.






No comments: